Kalihi, Kona, Oʻahu : Fishponds
"Ke kai nehe o Puʻuhale."
"The murmuring sea of Puʻuhale."
The sea at Puʻuhale in Kalihi, Oʻahu was said to murmur softly as it washed ashore. There were once many fishponds there.
- (ʻŌlelo Noʻeau #1732, pg. 186, Pukui 1983)
There are three (3) tributaries that feed into the larger Kalihi Stream: Kamanaiki Stream, Kalihi Stream, and Kaʻewai Stream (not labeled in figure). All these watercourses eventually meet and empty through one channel into what is now Keʻehi Lagoon.
There are five (5) fishponds in Kalihi: Loko Ananoho, Loko Auiki, Loko Pahouiki, Loko Pahounui, and Loko Apili.
An oval-shaped pond 52 acres in area. The walls approximate 4700 feet in length and average 6 feet in width. They were primarily of coral and average 3 feet in height. There were two houses on the wall, but the houses and makaha were modernized in 19th century. (Sites of Oahu, Sterling and Summers)
Small adjoining pond partly filled. It was 12 acres in area with a 900-foot wall. (Sites of Oahu, Sterling and Summers)
The smallest, being 14 acres in area with a wall 1050 feet in length. The wall was of coral, with one house and two makaha. (Sites of Oahu, Sterling and Summers)
Adjoining and open to Pahouiki. A pond of 26 acres with a wall 2600 feet long. The walls were also of coral with one house and two makaha. (Sites of Oahu, Sterling and Summers)
Adjoins but does not open to Pahounui. 28 acres in extent with a wall 1500 feet long. (Sites of Oahu, Sterling and Summers)
Cutout of HGS Map #1255 - 1883